Research and Mobile Content Associate
Scope of Work for Research and Mobile Content Intern
Background: mPowering Frontline Health Workers (mPowering) is a USAID partnership that aims to contribute to the elimination of preventable child and maternal deaths by accelerating the use of mobile technology to improve the skills and performance of frontline health workers.
mPowering’s ORB content platform (health-orb.org) connects frontline health workers and trainers to high-quality, mobile-optimized training content. ORB brings into one space curated, quality- assured, multimedia materials from multiple content developers; and the content covers the RMNCH spectrum for health workers and supervisors. mPowering also works in building collaborations to help governments use the power of mobile technology to strengthen maternal and child health services, sustainably and at scale. mPowering promotes sharing of learning and ideas to generate evidence and information on the use of mobile technology by frontline health workers.
Position Overview: The Research and Mobile Content Intern will assist with data collection and desk review efforts devoted to two research projects – one on evaluation for mHealth programs, and another synthesizing mPowering’s Global Learning outputs. In addition, the intern will support mPowering’s ORB platform, including identifying new content and, coordinating posting of new content to mPowering’s ORB platform, and carry out other duties as assigned.
The Intern will work closely with mPowering’s Senior Program Coordinator and Sr. Country Advisor in the Maternal and Child Survival Program (MSCP) offices in Washington, D.C. This is a part-time position, paid on an hourly basis.
Period of Performance: Date of hire through May 2016, with possibility of extension.
Activities: The following activities illustrate the types of work that will be carried out by the employee, though other related duties may be requested.
- Research and Global Learning:
- Support ongoing desk research to collect and review studies devoted to the evaluation of mHealth technology. Assist in summarizing the results of the review.
- Assist in the collection and analysis of data related to ongoing research activities, which will be distributed to members of mPowering’s network (as well as other channels of distribution).
- Analyze mPowering’s Global Learning outputs from program inception to date for key themes to inform upcoming synthesis.
- Assist with background research on training approaches, country programs, or other relevant topics as requested
- Respond to partner inquiries and carry out partner-requested research tasks
- Attend partner-led and other public events and brief mPowering team
- ORB Content Support:
- Scan resources submitted to ORB to determine which content should be forwarded to our Content Review Team.
- Upload content onto ORB and identify new content and content providers to initiate new submissions to the ORB content review process.
- Communicate with mHealth audiences (trainers, content developers, etc.) to facilitate use of ORB
- Participate in presentations and webinars to promote ORB content, as appropriate
- Provide input into future developments for ORB, with an emphasis on country ownership and sustainability
- Structure ORB content into training courses for country programs, as needed.
Deliverables: Deliverables will be related to the above activities, with format, deadlines, and other details to be agreed upon by the intern and supervisor.
- Enrollment in relevant Master’s level program.
- Strong research and information organization skills in public health.
- Experience (academic or professional) with education/training for health professionals.
- Interest in the use of mobile technology for health; mobile health experience is a plus.
- Excellent and analytical writing skills.
- Professional skills, including strong interpersonal skills, organization, and willingness to learn.
To Apply: Please send a resume or CV and short covering note to firstname.lastname@example.org.